Thursday, March 31, 2011

New Lambs (Born Jan- April)

It was lots of fun to anticipate and see each new lamb come. Dan let me name the first one "Opal". Our friendliest and oldest Ewe- Amber had her one morning and Liz and Danyelle found it in the early morning. We were coming to the farm later that day and finally got there hoping everything would be fine but the lamb had about "given up". She was beyond cold; still wet and wouldn't even try to get up. We knew we couldn't do much with all the kids there so we ran the them to Ginger's to play. I warmed a blanket and a towel in the clothes dryer,  stuffed it into my coat and headed to warm "my" Baby as fast as I could. Amber was a good mom and only got worried a few times. After I rubbed her vigorously, wrapped up in the warm blanket, stuffed her in my jacket and sat down with the ewe. That is where we stayed as Dan wind proofed the hoop hut and tended to extra hay and such. After 45 min she stopped shivering in my jacket and Dan was successful in teaching her to latch on. 
Then came Sahara from Apache. Then Lamb Chop #1 and Lamb Chop #2 then Salt and Pepper who were both boys but our only twins so far. update we had twin ewe lambs today 4-6-11. they are the charcoal gray ones with the back faces and legs!
11 lambs total as of today!

No comments: