Thursday, July 5, 2007

Bike Trip #1 (12+ Miles)



I decided that we should make a project out of biking the area bike path through the many surrounding towns, one section at a time. I was determined to get a few pages Scrapbooked within a few days with our photos, documentation, map, and stats. This one took us from Rockdale -Joliet and into Channahon. Where we turned around and went back. 12.28 miles.
Xander has just learned to ride bike this April and tires easily but was quite a trooper. As in the middle photo he pulled his feet up to rest on the bike bar in a shady spot and he says "huhhh, My legs are just out of energy again.. I need some Performance (a sports drink w/ electrolytes in) " It took up all afternoon but we had a good time seeing all the canal animal life (2 kinds of turtles, hissing geese with their babies, carp, and once Xander slammed on his breaks and I very nearly did not stop in time to avoid an accident... he did this to show me "the Most beautiful bird ever!" After a slight scolding I told him that was called a Red Wing Black Bird.) We brought these children's field guides and identified many Flowers and berries.
Josie had Nana 1/2 the time in the bike cart... the other half I was encouraging her to keep up with a leash beside my bike. Josie fell asleep 1/2 mile from the car.
It was a good first ride... We averaged 2-3 miles per hour... not great stats but WE DID IT!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great work.